Saturday, May 24, 2008

Oh, and there aren’t actually people here, just leprechauns


“So how’s Ireland? The Irish, they’re like all- merry and singing and dancing and laughing all the time right?”
Uh. Right. They wear green all the time and dance through the streets with their red hair blowing in the wind wielding a pint of Guinness. And did I mention that everyone pins a fresh shamrock to their lapel daily just for good measure? Oh, and there aren’t actually people here, just leprechauns.
Sorry everyone, but the Irish are not THAT fond of Guinness, people just walk down the street (except after pub close but we won’t get into that). There is not an abundance of red haired people. There is no dress code requiring the wearing of green at all times, and most of the shamrocks are sold in tourist shops.
I am truly sorry if my dispelling of bad Irish stereotypes ruined anyone’s vision of the Emerald Isle forever. But I feel like the distinction between real Ireland and post card Ireland is an important one.
However, now that I’ve stuck up for Ireland, I’m sticking up for the states. No we are not all blonde and I don’t want to be Paris Hilton when I grow up. American girls are not required by law to be high school cheerleaders and not all American boys were on the football team. My high school experience was nothing like “Bring it on” or “10 Things I Hate About you”. I am not from New York City and I didn’t vote for George Bush. And no. I don’t spend my summers at the beach. I’m from Iowa people, that’s in the middle.
It’s been interesting to see what everyone expects when they find out I’m American. The shock and awe on their faces when they find out I don’t especially like New York City…and the confusion when I try to explain where Iowa is! I met a Geography major last week, and my jaw literally dropped when he said “Oh! Iowa! Capitol is Des Moines right?” He takes the prize for being the first person in Ireland to be able to locate Iowa on a map. He also gets bonus points for not asking if that’s where we grow all the potatoes. (Idaho people! Geez!)
Basically it’s been a 5 months study in how people the world over view other parts of the world. I’m sorry to have ruined so many Irish people’s view of America, really I am. But imagine how sad I am to be going home not having seen a leprechaun! The travel books and TV shows…they lie to you!

No comments: